Crimson Mail is the email service for students at The University of Alabama.
Crimson Mail is hosted by Google, meaning students have all the benefits of using Gmail. Email addresses use the format (userID@crimson.ua.edu), and accounts are lifelong with no expiration. Anyone who has ever taken a class at UA since the service was started has a Crimson Mail account, including current faculty and staff. Crimson Mail is accessed using the same login credentials as myBama.
Your UA Crimson Mail account comes with all of the perks of a Gmail account. Along with your Crimson email address, your account also includes access to Google Calendars, Google Hangouts, as well as Google Drive and Docs, although we recommend Box unlimited cloud storage for your document storage and sharing needs. Get started at mail.crimson.ua.edu.
Crimson & DUO
Effective Monday, June 12, 2017, if you are an active DUO user, your Crimson mail account is protected under the same DUO Two Factor Authentication as your myBama account. OIT strongly recommends DUO, and it will be mandatory for all UA students beginning October 2, 2017. Activate your account today!
DUO does not impact Crimson mail on your mobile device; however, when you visit mail.crimson.ua.edu to check your inbox on a web browser, you will receive the same DUO prompt that you see when logging into myBama.
Add Crimson Mail to Your Mobile Device
iPhone and iPad
- From your Home Screen, tap Settings
- Tap Mail
- Tap Accounts
- Tap Add Account
- Tap Google
- Enter your Crimson email address
- Tap Next
- Enter your myBama username and password
- Tap Submit
- If you have an active DUO account, DUO will need to verify your device with a notification when adding a Crimson mail account to your device.
- Select which items you would like to sync to your phone.
- Tap Save
Android Phones and Tablets
- Open Settings on your device
- Select Accounts & sync
- Select Add Account
- Select Google
- Sign in with your Crimson Account and myBama password
- Tap Next
- Select which items you would like to sync to your phone
- For your email, select Gmail
- For your address book, select Contacts
- For your calendar, select Calendar
- You can now access your student email through the Gmail app.
- You can now access your Google calendar through the Calendar app.
- You can now access your Google address book through the Contacts or People app, depending on your device’s configuration.
If manual entry is required, please enter the following:
Use SSL security must be checked.
Please also ensure that IMAP is enabled on your Crimson account. You my
check this by doing the following:
1. Log into your Crimson email.
2. Click the gear in the top right hand corner.
3. Click Settings.
4. Click “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”.
5. Make sure enable IMAP is checked.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is my e-mail address?
Your Crimson account name is identical to your myBama account name. Your new e-mail address will be your userID@crimson.ua.edu.
How do I access my Crimson mail?
Crimson mail is accessed with the same login credentials as myBama. You can visit your myBama account, and click on the Crimson Mail icon, or you can visit mail.crimson.ua.edu.
Does my Crimson account expire?
No, because Crimson mail is hosted by Google, it will never expire, not even after graduation. You’re Crimson for life!
Who has an account on Crimson?
All University of Alabama students have e-mail accounts on Crimson. This includes all incoming students, applicants, and anyone who has been enrolled for a University of Alabama course since 2008.
Does Crimson have other Google Apps other than e-mail?
Crimson has chat, calendar, address book, and docs applications available.
What if I am a faculty or staff member as well as a student?
If you are faculty/staff and currently enrolled in classes, you will be given assigned a Crimson account with the same privileges as any other University student. Crimson accounts and Departmental accounts are separate accounts. We will not forward departmental accounts to Crimson accounts.
What if I need help or have other questions regarding Google?
If you require assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk at 205-348-5555 or email ITSD@ua.edu with any questions. Please include your Campus-wide identification (CWID) number when calling and/or sending email inquiries.
Looking for faculty/staff email information?
Visit our page on Exchange/Webmail.