Viruses are a major threat to personal computer security.
OIT provides virus protection to UA students, faculty and staff free of charge! Protect your computer against unauthorized access, spyware, adware and viruses. These threats can be used to collect your personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers. Follow the tips below to keep your computer safe and virus-free!
Virus Prevention Tips
- Install anti-virus software, and keep it up-to-date. OIT provides McAfee Virus Protection to UA students, faculty and staff.
- Disable third-party cookies.
- Enable prompting for software installation.
- Use a pop-up blocker and phishing filter in your web browser.
- Don’t open e-mail attachments from sources you do not trust.
- Never install an application from a website unless you fully trust it.
If you are an information technology administrator on the University of Alabama campus, you are licensed to use McAfee’s ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO). Contact the IT Service Desk for more information.