Student Phishing Attempt – July 28
OIT has received reports of students receiving phishing emails that pose as job offers. Specifically, an email with the subject line “CISCOsystems PART TIME EMPLOYMENT OFFER”.
This is a fake job offer used as an attempt to steal sensitive and financial data. If you haven’t already, please delete the email. If you did respond to the email, or you did provide any sensitive or financial data, please place a report with UAPD by calling 348-5454. UAPD is aware of this phishing attack.
If students receive any future messages like this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Information Technology wants to remind students to recognize the red flags of phishing when checking your Crimson email.
- Look at the “From” email address. Confirm that the @ address is from the actual company.
- Hover over links to see the URL before you click.
- Look for an official email signature.
- If you didn’t apply for it, don’t open it.
- Do not send sensitive data, like a social security number, over email.
- Never provide financial information, like credit card numbers or bank account numbers.
If you suspect that you are a victim of a phishing attack, please change your myBama password and activate DUO. For any questions or concerns, please contact the IT Service Desk at 205-348-5555.