3/5/2013 – A recent security incident at Evernote allowed attackers... Read More
John McGowan, Vice Provost and Chief Information Officer
Dr. John P. McGowan joined the University as vice provost and chief information officer (CIO) in July 2008. McGowan has more than 20 years’ experience in information technology, including serving as CIO for both the University of Texas at San Antonio and Florida International University and as chief technology officer for the University of Southern Mississippi. He has also been a consultant to universities and colleges and director of project planning for SCT, a major software company in higher education.
McGowan was selected as one of the world’s Top 10 Leaders in IT by Cisco Corp. in 2003. He served on Cisco’s Enterprise Technical Advisory Board from 2003-2005 and has also been a member of PeopleSoft Corp.’s Technical Advisory Board. He was a member of the project advisory committee of the Biological Sciences Curriculum Study Human Genome Project.
Prior to moving into information technology, McGowan spent 11 years as a research biochemist in the fields of cancer research and molecular biology. He earned his doctorate in pharmaceutical chemistry at the University of the Pacific.
Dr. John McGowan
Phone: (205) 348-9809
OIT Mission Statement
The Office of Information Technology facilitates research, enhances instruction, and supports administrative operations by providing quality leadership, services, and resources in information technology.
The Office of Information Technology will be a responsive and responsible customer-centric organization that enables and empowers the University of Alabama community to effectively accomplish their goals through the use of technology.
OIT Strategic Goals
- Ensure the quality of information technology services for all of the University community through expanded resources and infrastructure.
- Enhance the research mission of the University through technology innovations and expanded capabilities.
- Enrich educational experiences through technology to promote student success and faculty excellence.
- Engage the community beyond the University of Alabama campus and build global initiatives.
- Establish an environment that supports the development of the technology organization.