Cybersecurity is Everyone’s Responsibility
OIT’s Security Team works to protect the sensitive information of UA students, faculty and staff. You play a role in protecting our information. Review the resources below.
- Do not share sensitive data and do not share passwords.
- Do not open email attachments, or click on links, from sources you do not trust.
- Back up your devices regularly.
- Keep your operating system, browser, and other software up to date.
- Longer passwords are stronger passwords. We recommend 12 or more characters.
- Use multi-factor authentication, like Duo, for all of your online accounts. Gmail, Yahoo and iCloud all offer multi-factor authentication.
- Store passwords in a secure and encrypted environment like LastPass.
- Be smart with your smartphone. Enable secure access and have a password, pattern or biometrics to unlock your screen.
- Beware of location tracking in your device.
- Regularly review social media privacy settings to know who can see your information and posts.
- Faculty/Staff should use the UA VPN to connect to the UA network when off campus. Do not access sensitive information over public WiFi.
- Report phishing emails in Outlook.
Cybersecurity Awareness Training
All UA faculty and staff must complete annual cybersecurity awareness training. This training is built in-house to provide relevant cybersecurity information critical for protecting sensitive information of students, faculty and staff. Access the training through Human Resources’ online learning management system.
UA provides several software packages that students, faculty and staff can download and use on personal and University machines. These software packages, and others, can be downloaded from the OIT Software Catalog.
- Lastpass is a password management tool that can create and store passwords in a secure and encrypted environment. LastPass is available as a browser tool and a mobile device app.
- McAfee antivirus software offers simple and effective virus protection. McAfee is installed on all UA machines; however, students, faculty and staff can download the software to personal devices as well.
- Spirion is a software package that searches for sensitive data stored on your machine. With Spirion, UA faculty and staff can proactively find sensitive data on their University owned machines.