Crimson Email is Powered by Microsoft
The University of Alabama email is supported by Microsoft O365.
Accessing Crimson Email
Current students have three options for accessing email in the Microsoft O365 environment: on the web, desktop apps or mobile apps. Alumni may access their email on the web or through the Outlook mobile app. Note – two-factor authentication is required. (Duo for students, Microsoft multi-factor for alumni).
Change Your Password
If you experience any issues accessing your Crimson email account in O365, please change your password.
Outlook Best Practices
Get familiar with your email environment! View our tips, tricks and best practices for using the Outlook application.
Get to know O365!
O365 is more than Outlook. UA students have access to must-have apps like Word, PowerPoint and Excel, but also fun collaboration apps like Microsoft Teams and OneDrive. Check out the resources below to learn more.
- Visit the OIT Software Catalog to download the full suite of tools.
- Wondering which tools to use? Check out our Google/Microsoft tool comparison chart.
- Migrate content from Google Drive to OneDrive. OneDrive is Microsoft’s cloud storage platform similar to Google Drive.
- Get to know Microsoft Teams. Teams offers unlimited video meetings, threaded chats and file storage all within one app.
Hosting email in Microsoft O365 presents many benefits.
- Hosting mail in the Microsoft environment provides opportunities for enhanced cybersecurity measures. With Crimson email in the Microsoft cloud, OIT’s security team has better ability to block malicious activity, preventing a greater number of phishing emails from reaching student inboxes.
- Multi-factor authentication is required for all Crimson O365 email accounts. For students and applicants, Duo is required to access student O365 mail accounts. Microsoft multi-factor is required for alumni accounts.
One Cohesive Directory
- With student, faculty and staff email hosted within the same Microsoft environment, individuals can easily find the email address of fellow UA students, faculty and staff in a common directory.
- Hosting student mail in the Microsoft cloud increases functionality with other Microsoft O365 tools including OneDrive Cloud Storage and Microsoft Teams. Hosting mail alongside these collaboration tools provides the opportunity for seamless integration and user experience. Check out our Google/Microsoft tool comparison chart to get to know the O365 suite of tools.
Prepare UA Students for Workforce
- 95% of Fortune 500 companies use the Microsoft Cloud environment. Recent grads are faced with learning Outlook, Teams, OneDrive and other Microsoft tools when starting their careers. Introducing UA students to the Microsoft environment during their higher education experience will better equip students to be workforce ready.
I am having issues logging in, what should I do?
If you experience any issues accessing your Crimson email account in O365, please change your password. After you’ve changed your password, refresh your browser then log in.
If I am a student and I used to have an alias @ua.edu email address, can I keep it?
No. Previously, students had unadvertised alias @ua.edu accounts that directed to @crimson.ua.edu. OIT removed alias @ua.edu email addresses for students. Students that use their @ua.edu alias email addresses for any accounts, memberships, email lists, etc. should change from @ua.edu to @crimson.ua.edu. This change is designed to simplify the mail environment for students and IT administrators, and also to allow the coexistence of student and employee email domains within the UA Microsoft O365 tenant.
What was migrated to O365?
All email in your Google Crimson account was migrated to your O365 Crimson account. Rules and settings applied to email accounts were not migrated. This includes automatic reply settings as well as filter/rules. Visit our Outlook Best Practices page for instructions on setting up new auto-reply settings and filters/rules.
How do I access my email?
Check out the three options listed above: web, mobile + desktop apps. To download Microsoft O365 software for free, visit the OIT software catalog. Because alumni are not licensed for O365 software, alumni can access mail on mobile devices or web browsers only.
Can I add my email to my phone?
Yes! View our instructions to add your Crimson email account to a mobile device.
Can I make my calendar items private in O365?
You sure can. We have instructions on how to change calendar permissions.
How can I migrate my Google Drive content to my new Microsoft environment?
View our guides on moving content from Google Drive to Microsoft OneDrive. Make sure you do this by May 2022!
Will I be able to keep my email account after graduation?
Yes, upon graduation student accounts are converted to a 50 GB alumni account. You will keep access to your mail account online, but you will not be able to keep access to O365 applications, including information stored in OneDrive. You’ll want to move any content you wish to keep to another location. After graduation, you can continue to access your email account at outlook.office.com with Microsoft multi-factor authentication. Accounts that are not accessed at least once each calendar year will be suspended.
Can I forward my Crimson email to another email account?
Certainly. Graduating students may choose to forward their Crimson mail to another email account. You can do so by following these instructions. We encourage students that are current faculty or staff members to forward their Crimson mail to their UA mail to be sure you do not miss a message.