OIT offers a few solutions for sending secure and encrypted messages.
Sending + Reading Secure Mail through Outlook Office 365
Outlook offers built-in email encryption features.
Reading Secure Emails – UA Students
UA Students can open secure email sent from UA faculty and staff by following these steps.
- First, before opening the email, ensure it is coming from a trusted source. Someone you know, with an @ua.edu email address.
- Open the email, then download the attached “message.html” file.
- Once downloaded, open the attachment.
- This will prompt a web browser to open. The web browser should say “Encrypted message” with details of who the message is from. To view the message, you have the option to sign in, or use a one-time passcode.
- If you choose sign in, click “Work or school account”. Login with your crimson email address and myBama password. You will then be able to view the message.
- If you chose one-time passcode, a passcode will be emailed to you within a few minutes. Sometimes these passcodes may take longer than expected to arrive. Upon receipt of the passcode, copy it and paste it into the appropriate field in the web browser. You will then be able to view the message.